Monday, April 23, 2012

Chapter Closed

As I write this en-route to Toronto, leaving debrief and Ottawa behind, I'm in an especially reflective mood. I'm sad that this experience as a Capacity Support Officer is over. I am excited for what is to come and to see where my Capacity Support Program Team 3 colleagues will go. The group we were a year ago and the group that got together this weekend was completely different. We all learned that we are extremely capable in taking on anything that was thrown at us and making opportunities out of everything. We have all grown so much. So proud of everyone involved and so happy to have had all of you influence the change in me this past year.

So what did we all accomplish? I will list some of the legacies we have left behind in our host countries:

  • Weekly women's fitness classes where they did not exist before
  • Recreational basketball leagues across a host country
  • New social media strategies to increase engagement with Commonwealth Games Associations and National Olympic Committees
  • New national sport events/competitions ranging from triathlons to youth multi-sport games
  • Proposals for funding, facilities development, team development, and long-term athlete development
  • Educational programs promoting Olympism and Olympic Values, anti-doping, and fair play
  • Sport programs
  • Games team management processes
  • Staff and volunteers trained in games team management software (Zeus)
  • Newly developed or strengthened national sport councils and relationships between national sport bodies and CGAs/NOCs
And this is just the start ... 

I think I can safely say that a lot of us "found" parts of us that we didn't know existed. We definitely had our limits pushed and we all made the best of our situations. My biggest take away - learning how to communicate more effectively both with people in my host country and people back home. I've strengthened some important relationships and have become better at making new ones. 

Thank you Commonwealth Games Canada staff and volunteers for the amazing support you have offered to us to help us grow tremendously over the last year. That support also allowed us to achieve outcomes that I think none of us could have expected given the opportunities that we found and also were presented to us. 

Now I look forward to staying connected with this amazing group of change makers and connecting with others as well. Need a job done in community development, volunteer coordination, event planning, program management, fundraising, or strategizing, especially in the sport sector? I for sure will know someone, or a team, who can help you. ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment