Monday, October 29, 2012

The Little Things That Make Me Canadian

I had a great conversation with someone last night who spent 6 years in Canada going to school and was really able to identify with some of those Canadian quirks/stereotypes that we have. Couple this with a chat about the same topic with another friend the other night, I have to say there are some things I really miss right now!
  • People holding doors open in front of you. I can't count the number of times I expected someone to look behind and see me right there and hold the door for just a second longer. The worst ones are the ones that open the door just a bit, then slip in, essentially closing the door on you. 
  • Getting a thank you for holding doors open for others
  • Smiling at people in the hall/elevator/street and getting one in return. I mostly get strange looks back. Or, none at all. 
  • "Sorry!" 
  • The excitement of the first dusting of snow on the mountains 
  • Toques and scarves
  • The signs in the bathrooms telling people how to avoid Influenza (sorry, but the handwashing here I've observed is pitiful or non-existent. Gross, I know. The country looks mightly clean on the surface, but some personal habits need some work on!)
  • Fall apples
  • My bike and golf clubs
  • Awesome hugs 
I really couldn't have had a more Canadian convo last night - we talked about mountains, Montreal smoked meat, poutine, Banff, snow, politeness (we are almost too polite to a fault!), and Russell Peters. The last one came about because he's of Indian descent. Myself, being Chinese, was thinking about instances where you'll find the two races interact with each other (my context was Vancouver). We concluded it would be close to 'nil, maybe except at a Russell Peters show.

I've also observed people here are very risk-adverse. I thought I was, but they are even more so! It could be because from the time they grow up, rules define their world. You can't do this, you can't do that. You can do this, but this is the exact way you must do it. Even directions to the Ministry of Manpower (I hate that gender discriminating name!) on their website have photos documenting every turn you need to take to reach their office. Getting lost, is not an option - because they don't let you, and people don't want to. Then again, I guess you can consider it amazing customer service?

Anyhow, going for a wander at Pulau Ubin this Saturday. Stay tuned for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment