Thursday, June 2, 2011

Behold the stakeholder map!

It's hard to believe it's getting close to a month and a half since I've left home to move here ... and that I met all the other Capacity Support Officers nearly two months ago. How time flies! Each month we have to submit a monthly report that is approved by our host organization to the CGC. Well, tomorrow my monthly report for May is due, but we also had two other "assignments" that are to be submitted part of the report this month. One is a year-long timeline that outlines our goals and tasks with Zeus, other CGA/NOC projects, sustainability (referring to our capacity building), and personal goals. Second is a stakeholder map.

Each CSO's timeline is varied as our goals for Zeus can be quite different. Some CGA/NOCs that the CSOs are at might have just one or two full time staff. Here in Sri Lanka, there are 16 (I think ... there are a lot of people who come and go) people who work full-time which is pretty amazing! So you can imagine how that might impact to what capacity each different CGA/NOC would use Zeus for. But for example right now, we're training 4 staff right now with 3 about to come on board along with an executive member. I know there will be more added to this list too!

Personally there are a few things I want to achieve soon ... making some friends outside of work in addition to the social circle I have at work. I've joined Zumba but learned there weren't too many females my age at that class. I start Yoga this weekend so I'm hoping that there might be people there ... and I'm thinking about joining a hip hop class on Tuesday nights where I know for sure there will be people my age. I still don't have a good grasp of what people my age to do here for hobbies ... some play sports (mostly males) and some obviously hang out at the mall or go out to movies on the weekends, but aside from that I'm not sure.

I also need to start studying Sinhala more seriously soon. I recently bought another learn to speak Sinhala book that is published here with audio CDs. I shouldn't be able to go wrong now! However, the few words and names that I have tried to speak and remember I've had a lot of trouble with. The names and words can be so long and of course like tongue twisters to me.

So I also mentioned this thing called a stakeholder map. I did two just because one single one with both the internal and external relationships got to be too much. However, I want to share with all of you how I kinda fit into the big picture. So, behold the masterpiece that is the stakeholder map! It may not be entirely accurate as some of the relationships are what I've perceived them to be and there will likely be changes and additions to it as I learn more over the year.


I learned a lot by doing this and it doesn't look a whole lot different for other CGAs and NOCs, I think. Hmm... I'm thinking a lot in this post. Well, it took a lot of thinking to get this done. We did a mock one when we were training in Ottawa in small groups and it was hard given the fact I had so little knowledge of all the sport bodies and stakeholders that exist!

So the NOC/CGA staff and I are there, in the middle and all the other stuff is what goes on around us!
I know this was a work-heavy entry so I hope I didn't bore you guys! And sorry about the week-long hiatus. There might be times where it's like this and there may be times I may blog more often. I was sick again the last few days with a cold so I wasn't feeling great. Getting better quickly now though.

GO CANUCKS GO! What is this thing about Burrows biting Bergeron?

1 comment: