Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Canada Day!

Well, I can't say this is my first Canada Day away from home, as in 2007 I was somewhere in Asia for Canada Day. But, this probably was more significant as I was celebrating here at my workplace as the lone Canadian. It was fun though; I had brought a a Canada flag with me for my travels this time around so I brought it into the office and hung it up in the front of my cubicle. Also, having met my first Canadian connection just a couple days before who talked about ordering a "Canada" cake where she is interning, inspired me to bake my own (well, I was going to order one, but I ran out of time!). So after keeping my colleagues guessing what Canada Day really means I finally revealed it was indeed Canada's birthday/independence day and we celebrated with the cake I baked! Here's a photo of some of us before we dug into the cake.

L to R: Dinushi, Chethana, Me, Hiruni, Gayathri
For those of you are wondering, this probably worked out better than ordering the cake since I could eat it! It's an egg-less and dairy-less chocolate cake with coconut flavoured icing. Texture was more dense, but it tasted just like cake mix cake - moist, sweet, and chocolate-y. Go to allrecipes.com for the recipe to Eggless Chocolate Cake II and food.com for Regular White Icing. For the icing I used margarine to make it a bit creamier and coconut milk powder to make it whiter. Then the red I just used a bit of red food colouring!

I'll post about my weekend trip to Mirissa later this week. :) Happy Belated Canada Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment